R.L.Forums Entertainment
March 29, 2024, 02:57:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To R.L.Forums Entertainment. This site is now opening its doors to members... wanted 15/10/08

Get your own Chat Box! Go Large!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Corry

Recent Items
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Corry  (Read 207 times)
Ritz
Founder & Manager

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:49:44 pm »

I just got to get this set below,I have been looking for the early years of corry for yonks,en now here they are ace.Shocked)

The set contains 80 wonderfully scripted and acted episodes that can still entertain a modern day audience. Firstly, I was surprised at how many of the characters I recognised. Many of the familiar faces from when I started watching Corrie in the 1970s are here, including indomitable landlady Annie Walker (Doris Speed), and tragicomic couple Hilda and Stan Ogden (Jean Alexander and Bernard Youens).

Other characters from this bygone age are still in the show today; a young Emily Bishop (Eileen Derbyshire) - credited in early episodes as “Miss Nugent” – frets about becoming a spinster with only a cat for company (would she have been reassured to know she would have Norris for company instead?). Of course the street’s longest surviving resident, Ken Barlow (William Roache) is also here – self conscious of his working class roots and seemingly destined for bigger things, poor Ken never did escape those cobbles – although it seems he has managed to tone down his Northern accent. Another surprise was to discover Ken’s first wife, dreary Valerie, was played by one of my favourite actresses, Anne Reid (dinnerladies, Life Begins).
Coronation Street has always been known for its strong women and it is a tradition that stretches back to these earliest of episodes. With narrow eyes and a mouth set in a permanent tight lipped grimace, Ena Sharples (Violet Carson) wasn’t known for suffering fools gladly. This no nonsense woman remembers her own mother’s “good” death thus: “She sat up, broke wind and died.”

Ena’s arch nemesis is the brassy red head Elsie Tanner. For decades Elsie was the Street’s “wanton woman” with a string of boyfriends and scandals that kept the nets twitching. Ena and Elsie’s battles of wits across the cobbles match anything we have seen between Gail Hillman and Eileen Grimshaw.

One obvious difference between these episodes and those on screen today is the average age of the characters. There is a much greater focus on people in middle age and older. Many plots focus on the worries of the elderly, such as Minnie Caldwell not being able to afford coal to put on the fire, or Ted Bates depression, because he feels has no purpose in life.

Other preoccupations of the characters mirror the concerns of the time – the shame of being a single mum, the fear of getting one's name in the papers for some misdemeanor, not to mention Minnie’s frequent worry that something may interfere with "getting us dinner”.

All the familiar soap plotlines are here - relationship breakdowns, tragic accidents and even a hostage situation, but it is easy to forget that in the 1960s these storylines were fresh and original, rather than being recycled for the umpteenth time.

While Coronation Street has always been favourably compared to the other ITV soap that began in the 1960s - Crossroads - it is worth pointing out that despite the excellent writing and believable acting, there are occasions when an actor stumbles over a line or accidentally trips on the set. Also, these were the days before the purpose built outside set we are used to, and there are many examples of very obvious painted scenery in the background. But, rather than detract from the programme these minor points serve to add more charm to the overall effect.

The selection of episodes reflect both the drama and the humour that Coronation Street does so well. However at times it would have been nice to see a storyline followed through rather than having one episode in isolation - we never do find out what happened next after Ena was accused of shoplifting.

here is the info in case anyone wants the same....

Coronation Street 1960 - 1969
Network DVD release
Released: 31st July 2006
RRP: £79.99
Total running time: 33 hours 20 minutes (approx)
Black & white and colour

I cannot find where to send for them, so here is the link as you may be able to find out were if so then you tell me cheers...  http://www.thesoapshow.com/soapworld/dvds/coronationstreet.htm

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:26:49 pm by Ritz » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum